Tuesday, April 12, 2022

264: Quarantine in Confinement

Yesterday was my last day of quarantine. Oh yes I got covid the second time, while I was in confinement, too!.

It started about 10 days ago, during the weekend. Yusra was abnormally lethargic. Usually she was the hyper one and make the most sound. But that day, she was just sleeping around and quiet. That morning as well, we got a message from the school that one of Yusra's classmate was covid positive but the school still resumes as usual. Having reading that message, I had my doubt so I decided to test Yusra for covid. We use the Newgene RTK nasal swab test. Easier to test the children with that. And my gut feeling turned out to be true. Yusra got the virus. So immediately we made Yusra to quarantine to her room. We tested everyone else but everyone was negative.

Husband applied for quarantine leave (the procedure was mentally exhausting) to take care of Yusra and the rest of the children. I also quarantine myself in the room with the baby because I just gave birth less than a week before so we wanted to prevent the baby from getting the virus. So my husband and the kids stayed in the living hall, while Yusra in her room and I in my room.

3 days later I started to feel unwell. But I thought it was just normal flu because I just had minor case of runny nose. But husband insisted I got tested anyway... and lo behold, I was positive as well.

We went to the CAC because the baby need to be checked for his jaundice still although he was now a close contact. I didn't do the self test for him because I felt scared of hurting him so I requested for them at the CAC to do it. But he was negative. I was breastfeeding him so it was hard to be separated from him, so we decided to just stay together where I need to wear mask all the time in the room.

So that's how my quarantine and confinement went. Just staying in my room with the baby 24/7. Meals were sent at the door by dear husband and I just spend the day n night relaxing and just taking care of the baby. At some point the baby started to cough a bit but never showed any sign of distress or uncomfortableness. I suspected he already gotten the virus but we decided as long as he did not show any rough symptoms, he should be okay. The doctor at the CAC had warned us earlier that the baby most probably will get it as well but baby is usually resilient. But I continued my mask wearing until the last day of quarantine.

This time around I could say that my symptoms was less severe than when I got covid the first time. When I was infected last august, I got the fever, flu and persistent cough, followed by losing the sense of smell and taste. The symptoms went on for about a week. But this time around I had the fever like headache but no increase in body temp that was resolve just by consuming paracetamol. I also had runny nose and phlegmatic cough. The cough was not painful, it was just uncomfortable because of the phlegm. I still got the pghlematic sensation at the sinus area but it was a minor discomfort. Using digestzen essential oil helps in managing it.

All in all, I feel very grateful to Allah for having my husband by my side all these while. It's ramadhan so my husband has been very patient in managing everything, the 3 other healthy children, yusra's quarantine, the houseworks, iftar preparation as well as my confinement needs. The children were also a gem. They have been so patient and understanding as well as helping around the house at that young age. 

No comments: